Orthodontic treatment is an important investment in your future. Everyone helping with your orthodontic care wants you to have the best results possible. While you are wearing braces it is essential that you take care of your teeth and gums. Home care details can be seen in the videos. As well, the following home care tips are for keeping your teeth and braces clean.
Protecting Your Healthy Smile While Wearing Braces
When cleaning your mouth while you are wearing braces, you need to pay special attention not only to your teeth and gums, but also to the brackets and wires.
Here are 10 simple steps for keeping your teeth, gums and braces in great shape:
- If you are fitted with elastics, remove them before brushing.
- Using fluoride toothpaste and a soft, compact toothbrush, place your brush at an angle of 45 degrees against the gums. Gently brush along the gum line where the gums and teeth meet, using a small circular motion on each tooth.
- Spend about 10 seconds on each tooth before moving onto the next tooth, brushing in a set pattern so that you don't miss any teeth.
- Gently brush the braces. Press your toothbrush firmly enough so that the bristles spread into the gaps between the wire and the tooth. Brush in and around all of the brackets and wires. Ensure that you brush under the wires. A battery-powered brush may be helpful.
- Brush both the inside and the outside surfaces of your teeth using a gentle circular motion on each tooth.
- For the chewing surfaces, use a firm back and forth motion.
- Spit out excess paste, then closely inspect your teeth and braces in the mirror to check that they are clean and shiny.
- Replace your elastics.
- After brushing, rinse with a fluoride mouthwash once a day, for 1 minute to help prevent cavities and white spots.
- View the Patient Home Care videos for more tips on keeping your teeth healthy.